Picture it, stepping into a magnificent oasis, with blooming flowers, trees, and winding walkways. You can almost feel the soothing warmth of the sun as it bathes you in its healing glory. Sounds like a dream, right? Well, it might be one day, but first you’ll need to make it a reality by learning how to save money on your solar energy system.
The Benefits Of A Solar Energy System
Let’s be honest, the sun is free. It provides us with warmth and light, and doesn’t cost a penny to get it. If you’ve ever tried to heat your home with conventional fuel sources like oil or coal, you’ll know how expensive and how much effort it takes, not to mention the health risks involved with these types of fuel.
With a solar energy system, however, you don’t need to worry about running out of fuel or spending too much on energy. The sun (and therefore, solar energy) will provide you with enough energy to keep your home comfortable all year round.
Another important consideration when choosing a solar energy system is how much space you have for it. If you have a small yard or porch, you may not be able to install an entire system. What this means is that you’ll have to make choices about which type of solar energy technology to use based on your available space.
Install A Multi-PV System
If you have the space, go for a multi-pV system. This will provide you with the benefit of using more than one battery, allowing you to store energy for use at a later date. A single-pV system (meaning a system with just one power source, such as a battery or solar panel) can only provide lighting or small appliance use. If you’re looking for a short-term power source, you might get by with a single-pV system; however, for maximum savings, go for a multi-pV system.
Use Energy Efficient Appliances
Just because your appliances are energy-efficient doesn’t mean they’re made of cardboard and plastic. These types of appliances still have parts that consume power, and if you’re not careful, you may end up wasting a lot of energy.
To avoid this, make sure all of your appliances are Energy Star compliant. These are appliances that consume less energy and are more eco-friendly. If you have any old appliances that don’t comply with these standards, it’s time for an upgrade! Updating your appliances can help reduce your energy consumption and save you money.
Look Into Batch-Loading
Batch-loading is where you load multiple items at once, instead of one by one. For example, if you’re cooking food for your family, you might want to batch-load the ingredients for a single recipe so you don’t have to go back and forth between the stove and the microwave too often. Batch-loading can help you get more done in less time, and it can also save you money on gas.
Reduce Food Waste
When you batch-load, you’re often creating more food than you need. To avoid this, take the leftovers and use them for something else. For instance, you might want to use the food from yesterday’s dinner to make today’s lunch. This will help reduce your food waste, and it’ll also help you avoid food costs down the line.
Get The Most From Your Solar Energy System
If you have a small solar energy system, you might want to consider investing in some of the following items to get the most from it:
- A good quality fan (preferably one with a timer). Good quality fans can help reduce energy consumption by 5-15%, depending on the unit. While the noise level might not be ideal, you can always turn down the volume on your device. Timers allow you to turn your fan on and off automatically, depending on the outside temperature. For example, if it’s very hot outside, the fan will be on to provide you with some much needed relief.
- A sleep mask (just like the one Harry Potter wears in the picture below). As we all know, blocking out artificial light at night can help us sleep better. So, while it might not be the most Eco-friendly thing to do, going green with your sleep mask can help you save money on your energy bill and improve your health by reducing exposure to blue light.
- Portable cooling units. If you live in a region where it gets extremely hot in the summer, having a cooling unit or air conditioner can be extremely beneficial. However, traveling with an air conditioner isn’t desirable, as it takes up a lot of room and weighs more than you’d want to carry around on your travels. A good option here is a portable cooling unit. These are small, light-weight units that you can carry around with you wherever you go. They’re more energy-efficient than traditional air conditioners, and they don’t take up as much space in your carry-on. Moreover, many portable cooling units come with additional features like humidifiers and dehumidifiers, allowing you to maintain the right environment inside your home or office space. If you live in a region where it gets very cold in the winter, portable heating units are the same as portable cooling units, only warmer. So, if you live in a region where temperatures can swing from very hot to very cold, consider investing in a portable heating unit or air conditioner (for cooler regions).
- A portable power generator. This could come in handy if your electricity goes out for some reason or when the power grid is down. It’s not only useful for generating electricity, either – with a good quality generator, you can charge up all of your cordless gadgets, such as cell phones, tablets, and laptops, as well as your car’s electronics, like the radio and GPS. In addition, if you have a laptop, you can use it to generate power on the go. Just connect it to a car charger and you can keep your computer powered up for up to an hour. If you run out of battery power, just swap the cable and you’re ready to go. These items are all considered portable power sources and can help you avoid energy costs that you’d otherwise be paying at the power plant. Moreover, many portable power generators come with a feature known as a surge protector. This protects all of your electronic devices and appliances from being damaged by electrical surges, like those caused by lightning strikes or utility accidents. This piece of equipment can also help prevent equipment from being fried by electrical currents generated from other sources such as radio waves or cell phones.
- A smart meter. This is a device that measures and records the amount of energy you use in a certain period of time. Smart meters are equipped with computer chips and software that helps you track and analyze your energy consumption, making it much easier to get an idea of how much you’re spending on electricity. If you’re looking for a way to save money on your energy bills, investing in a smart meter is a great idea. Not only will it help you get an idea of how much you’re spending, but it’ll also help you determine where you can reduce costs and be more eco-friendly.
If you want to learn more about how to save money on your energy bill, check out the links below. They can help provide you with tips and tricks to lower your energy consumption and costs.