Last year, Middletown, New York was ranked the No. 1 community for solar energy potential in the U.S. by True Potential Solar. That means homes in Middletown have the highest actual potential to generate their own clean electricity with the help of solar panels, compared to homes in any other town. If you live in Middletown and are interested in learning more about the exciting world of solar energy, continue reading.
Real World Applications
Let’s take a look at some of the more practical applications of solar energy – both current and potential – in Middletown and the surrounding areas. To start, let’s examine the town’s current energy consumption and production.
- According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration, Middletown consumes around 16.3 million kilowatt hours of electricity per year — the equivalent of the energy used by about 75 average U.S. homes.
- And the town’s total energy production — from both traditional and alternative energy sources — is only 7.7 million kilowatt hours per year, which is less than the average U.S. home’s use.
The difference is made up of mostly fossil fuels, such as natural gas and oil, which are considered harmful to the environment. But the good news is that, as mentioned above, a sizable portion of the energy is generated by solar power.
The Future Of Solar In Middletown
Looking ahead, let’s examine some of the exciting possibilities that the solar industry brings to Middletown and surrounding areas.
- With the cost of solar energy plummeting, more and more homeowners are interested in taking the plunge and going solar. There are now more than 400,000 solar energy systems installed across the U.S., and that number is expected to reach 1.3 million by 2022.
- As of January 2022, there were 12,900 solar energy systems, also known as solar panels, installed across Middletown. If that sounds like a lot, that’s because it is — and it represents nearly triple the number from just two years earlier.
- In fact, nearly all the town’s residential buildings are now equipped with solar energy systems, and that’s great news for residents, as it offers an inexpensive and clean alternative to traditional energy sources.
- Based on current trends and the town’s already robust solar energy infrastructure, it’s clear that the future of solar in Middletown is very bright.
- In 2022, Middletown is scheduled to have seven new electrical substations with solar power capabilities installed, which will further enhance the town’s energy independence and sustainability.
How To Get Solar Energy For Your Home
If you’re interested in bringing solar energy to your home, the best way to start is by consulting with an expert electrician who can help you assess your current home energy situation and recommend the best course of action for you. If that’s not feasible, consider seeking out a local solar company who can perform an in-home audit to determine your existing energy consumption and predict future energy needs.
To get started, simply contact Direct Energy today to learn more about going solar.